Monday, March 17, 2014

Maybe a Rerun?

I have just spent the better part of this early morning (4:30 A.M.) looking through my past posts to see if I ever blogged about my last day of junior high school.  I am sure that I wrote about this, but being rather casual about blog labels and being more cryptic than necessary with blog post titles, I could not find it.  Therefore, today you are in for a re-run.

I was reminded of my last day of junior school because of some of the comments in my prior post.  Some readers wondered why I was so passive in those situations.  Perhaps, some of it had to do with my being brain tired at the time, maybe I was a little intimidated by the elevated position of each of these rude men, but I actually think it was a more practical decision,  a decision of picking ones battles carefully.  I would not have changed them or the world much by a female outburst.  Remember those scenes in the bar where one man gets accidentally bumped by another and then the bumped man confronts the other man with a snarl and in-your-face response?  Well, the snarling one is the one who always comes off looking like the idiot or the ego-centric oaf while the person who did the bumping comes off as being apologetically distracted.  These men did not impact my job or my family...just that brief time at that moment.  I did not let them ruin my day either.

While I am not one of those in-your-face feminists, I have held my ground on issues when necessary and have tried to give that philosophy to my daughter.  OK...what does this have to do with my last day of junior high school and perhaps my very first feminist protest?

I went to school in the mid-1960's.  This was the first decade of drugs, sex and rock and roll.  It was also a decade of the beginning of the women's liberation movement.  Liberation from dishes and babies to working 50 hour weeks and then coming home to dishes and babies.  I went to a tiny school in a farming community in the mid-west, which was pretty much sheltered from all of this.  An out-of-wedlock pregnancy was the most shocking thing that happened there.  Pot had not moved into the small town culture and we had sock hops in the new gymnasium for our rock and roll experience.  Girls danced with girls and the guys stood around trying to look cool except for the bad boys who would sneak outside the gym for a smoke. 

The last day of school was only half a day and there were no formal classes.  We cleaned out our lockers, cleaned out various classrooms, ran errands for teachers, got our annuals and spent time getting them signed by classmates and talking about about starting high school in the fall.  The day was really a wash, and perhaps, that was why two of my best friends and I decided to shake it up a little.  We were thirteen and thus just becoming rebellious teenagers and women.   I wish that I could say I was the ring-leader, but one of the other girls has instituted the idea.  We had decided to wear jeans on the last day of school!  I felt it was a very practical idea since we had to spend time clean up dusty shelves and lockers.  But I also knew that it was against the school rules for girls to wear pants to school.  We lived in jeans on weekends, because we all lived on farms and had chores, but this public school required skirts or dresses.

I don't think my parents had a clue, because they said nothing when I left the house in neat dark blue jeans, white tennis shoes and a shirt.

We didn't make it past first period when the Home Economics teacher, a tremendously prim and proper little tornado standing 5 feet and weighing 100 pounds, came huffily into the classroom and announced that we would have to leave the school building!  When we asked her where we were supposed to go, she said to wait outside until "they" decided what they were going to do with us.  She glared and fussed and indicated that "This was going to go on our school record" as we carefully hid our smirking.  I do not think we knew what a quandary we had them in, because we were all top students and had held various leadership positions in the school.  But we were certainly having fun being rebellious, something that as "good" girls we had not considered before.

We sat on the lawn on a lovely June morning for about 20 minutes talking and defending our position to ourselves. We could see the principal and the Home Ec teacher standing at the office window looking at us and talking and we somehow knew that we had the upper hand.  The whole thing seemed more than ludicrous to us and that is probably what won the argument, the total idiocy of the idea.  I do not know if they called our parents, but I am sure that my friend's mother would have given them a real piece of her mind over being interrupted by something so insignificant.

While I am sure they had considered sending us home to change as the very least of what they could do, we finally were allowed to go back inside.  Within an hour we had forgotten we were in jeans as had all the other students and the last day of school continued without further event.  I wish I could say that this changed the dress code for the school, but it did not.  I don't think I was allowed to wear pants to class until college where crossing a snow filled campus pretty much demanded better leg cover.

Anyway, that was my first but not my last feminist protest movement.  (Chuckle.)

18 comments:

  1. My wife and friends showed up for a workday at church and were not allowed inside because they had worn jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo. I have no real memory of what I wore in public school. Uniforms at Bishops, but at any other schools no memory at all.

    Now you know why I keep a journal. I never had a memory...darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wild rebel you were! These days I imagine it would be the girl wearing a dress to school who'd catch the attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No pants in class until my senior year in college! this in the snowbelt of Western New York. We needed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabor - what sounds like a mellow protest for today was quite bold "back then!" When I went to college we still had to "dress" fro dinner - that meant coats and ties for guys and skirts or dresses for us "ladies." I got out of it by becoming a server - I just wore a uniform every evening - not much of a protest, just earning my way through college.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No pants through college and not until my fifth year at work were we allowed to wear pantsuits. I'd forgotten all that. My Mom had to argue with the grade school to let us wear snow pants under our dresses because we walked to school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny. I wore a dress to an event on Saturday and several people remarked that they had never seen me in a dress. So I guess it's a significant matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had to wear uniforms. We did have the option of wearing pants, but they were made of the same plaid design as the uniform and thus were so ugly we never saw a pair on any girl in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Quebec (Montreal) we went from elementary school grade 7 to high school grade 8 through 11. In 8, we were allowed to have one dress down day a year. In 9, we were allowed to wear something other than the white blouses with our tunics. In ten, we were allowed to wear pants but not jeans. In 11 we were able to wear jeans as long as they were not torn or dirty. We all appreciated the pioneers who got us started with the one dress down day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It wasn't a big deal for me. We did wear slacks or pedal pushers on active days if we wanted. I am some years ahead of you though. Jeans weren't that popular until I got a bit older.

    The bigger deal for me was when I began wearing my dresses to church without nylons. That was such a no-no and I was in my 40s when I did that. I liked the bare legged look and not sure what 'they' thought of it. A lot of women still wear the pantyhose but i haven't for years as when I wear heels they are usually open toed sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you noticed the way the kids dress in schools today? Things have changed drastically in those years. Maybe it started with three 13 year old girls who dared to fight the system.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story! I remember being the first teacher in my building to wear a pants suit in 1972. Others asked if I had permission. Permission? Why would I even ask, I said. Our principals were mostly men, and some apparently had that kind of "control" over their women staff, but I never even considered that I needed permission.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should have led a revolt to wear pants in my high school, since our winters were brutal and I had to walk 9-10 blocks to school, unless my current boyfriend picked me up in the mornings. But we were not allowed. It was considered a scandal when I wore wool slacks to a photo shoot for the school annual, and I had to change back into a skirt to finished my classes that day. How dumb that was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A 1960's Protestor, huh???? Love it!!!!! My eldest son was born in 1963---so I remember the 60's quite well.

    Luckily I (nor any of my 3 kids) ever had to go to a school where there was a dress code... SO--we all got to wear jeans --or whatever we wanted to.

    I remember --as a child of the 50's that I wore jeans (rolled up some) and those two-color oxfords some of the time.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no, I would have remembered this story! We had a group of girls that were rebels and we did some outrageous things.

    I can remember being allowed to wear pants when I was in eighth grade. Such silliness when we look back on the rules.

    I remember guys having issues with long hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had to kneel and make sure our skirts hit the floor. If not, they were deemed too short. I think they started wearing pants the year or a couple after I graduated and I was jealous. I don't think I would have done anything so obviously revolutionary. Smoking in the girls room and even skipping study hall was bad enough (but hidden).

    I have a search feature on my blog where I can search for key words. Makes it a wonderful filing cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. RYN: I will, I will. I too let my windows be bare. Always. In every house. The only exception was the living room here where I put up shutters. Now, I too have put shades and curtains in most windows because the new windows are appallingly ugly. So show me your shades.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RYN: You are so funny and so right. I clarified that sentence and still folks will have a confusion factor. "Frozen" is the latest Disney movie, and the youngest granddaughter wanted both the DVD and one of the Princess dolls from that movie. Both G and I went to every store in town, and all the dolls were gone. G found one online with a lady who had only five left. We are saved. LOL

    So thanks for the gentle reminder to clarify cultural statements.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.