Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bragging Rights

There is something in my family's genes about getting old that makes us determined to proved we are not.  I remember well the time my 80-something father was up on the roof helping my brother put down shingles on his newly built house.  This was made even more of a concern to us when we drove up and found brother had to run and get nails and dad remained up there waiting!

Well I got a little of that gene. Yesterday we helped son level his lawn to his newly purchased home.  The side lawn was full of dog holes and tree root veins that had collapsed.  It was a great place for spraining an ankle or twisting a back in a fall.  We had agreed to help him with this (which I failed to mention in the prior post) and thus stuck by our word.  We had just not been good about getting a time solidified and that was why it was a bit of a surprise.

In the photo below are 12 bags of top soil and compost...each weighing a ton.  He had to have them delivered this way because he does not have a driveway or garage and companies would only deliver like this.  The four of us moved all 12 tons, spread it on the lawn in two layers, pulled a 250 pound roller after each layer, then seeded with lawn seed, and raked it in.  Today, if son makes it out of bed, he is going to cover the area with peat moss (could not get straw/hay bales) and then spend the next two weeks watering it carefully twice a day.  My bragging rights are that I can now say I helped move 12 tons of soil in one day.





I do know about lawns, and reminded him that the real fun starts when the grass begins growing like weeds and involves LOTS of mowing! 

My joints ache just a little today, so I guess my body is admitting defeat in fighting me on this journey.  Today I work on my herb garden and planting those annuals that I have been trying to get into seedling pots.

14 comments:

  1. Yeah once you make a deal, you have to stick with it. You can feel proud though for sure. We have a project in mind for our yard which will involve concrete and moving out a lot of rough soil to get a patio in what is now considered the front yard although none of our place has the right orientation for front or back yards since it's rural. I am thinking if we took out the fence, which i dearly love but if we did, my husband could use the big equipment for the leveling. We bought an old cement mixer for that next step. I learned the hard way about leveling cement and using gloves by doing a flagstone patio one year without them which it was all me... hands were painful for weeks :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obvious to me that hard work keeps one in healthy and vigorous...or laid up in agony, as the case may be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a gooooood mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a stronger, braver, more determined woman than I. Good work.. you deserve a treat now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As they say in Texas, "If you done it, it ain't braggin'."

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha. my joints would be aching as well...oh my....good stuff though....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can hear my reaction in my head, pronounced slowly and deliberately like my g-daughter does - oh ...my ... god! I think the very sight of all that soil would do me in. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am ashamed. Lifting four 50 lb bags of chicken feed and emptying them in the containers almost killed me and I've been moving like a snail in pain. Then you tell what you have done and that you are in very little pain. Whew...no fair. You have set the bar too high.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a job - we need something like that to happen here in The West Highlands, our grasses are full of sphagum moss and dog lichen.

    Blessings from Dalamory
    www.freda.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow---you all really did work... We too are busy working in our yards these days... Sometimes, we are so tired ---but we both just keep on trudging along... Things MUST get done...

    George's Daddy was on his roof in his 90's.... Something about those genes!!!! ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! I am reminded of Benjamin Button :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I usually just adapt to whatever I inherit (for lawns and otherwise) so it's amazing to me to think about creating something beyond that. All that lifting will guard against osteoporosis...and what is it about that fight against old age. Same with sleeping ... people tend to adamantly deny they are sleeping when caught napping.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.