Monday, September 01, 2014

A Review: Movies and Holidays

We had those 4 young people Friday and Saturday.  The first day was quiet with wine on the dock and good conversation.  A crab and salmon and freshly harvested oyster dinner went off without a hitch on the deck and the mosquitoes held off until late evening.  Since one of the young men was from Hong Kong, he fully appreciated the fresh seafood even though it was not prepared as he was used to.  The next day was full of loud and busy boating.  Everyone was out on the water from noisy ski-doos with teenage boys hanging on to drooping swimsuits to those super fast useless speed boats filled with bikini-glad dyed blondes and the guy who owns the boat.  Little guys were driving(?) small flat-bottomed fish boats and others were pulling floats behind with small brothers.  We cruised to a nearby pocket beach and snacked on cheeses, deli meats, olives, dried fruits, etc..  The heat was a bit much, but we survived well, except for one small accident by me which I will save for another  post.

The couple that is friends of my son and his wife admitted to us they were thinking wedding plans!  It is not an easy road for the following reasons:  her parents are traditional, southern, and very conservative and somewhat religious, his parents are a big noisy Chinese family from Hong Kong with that Asian energy the Chinese bring to any celebration which can be somewhat overwhelming and demanding.  They are also not Christian.  I did not ask what religion or if they belonged to any religion at all, but the young couple were clear it was NOT going to be a church wedding.  They are not wealthy so having to keep all decisions frugal or give in and then let the families fight over who pays for what and thus runs the show...not a good scenario.  (I will let you in on a little secret in that they were thinking and we encouraged that they go ahead and get married secretly by a "Justice of the Peace" so that the future husband he can get on the bride's health insurance plan and they "plan" another wedding in a few more months when they have saved more money and had time to create a strategy.) The young man from Hong Kong has become bored with his job, and because they have no mortgage, no children, and are in their early 30's, he has decided to leave this job to join a start-up with greater risk but far greater potential but with no health insurance.  I am excited and hopeful for both of them and want to help them in any way without adding to their stress.

At the end of the second day this couple left on their way to do other things and son and daughter-in-law stayed on through the evening and next day.  We talked and talked (DIL was drinking wine so I did not ask about their plans for children...although I do know from another source that she is trying to get pregnant.)   Son helped us with our wi-fi and set up a password which I have been trying to do for months.  He also fixed some hardware on a window which had boggled my mind.  We have a great relationship with both of them.  Years ago we were not as close to our son who wanted to be on his own and not keep us in the loop of his merry-go-round life, but he has matured and she has also influenced a change in him.  Our times together are fun, peaceful, and rewarding.  I feel very, very, very blessed.  I am not the easiest person to hang out with if I care about you, so we all have adjusted I am guessing.

We did all watch the movie "Noah" on TV one night and may I warn you that it is the biggest waste of time.  The acting is the only thing of any merit.  The script is terrible, the plot is weird, the character development non-existent, special effects ho-hum...so do not waste your money.

Well, I am now off to do 7 (yes SEVEN) loads of laundry.

23 comments:

  1. A wonderful time for you :)
    and I envy the fresh seafood.
    I crave and none in this area.
    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had quite a houseful and it sounds as though they gave you a few things to think about. I don't envy that young couple their upcoming family issues. Sometimes it does pay to be older!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Labor Day... Hope you are having a great day. We finally got some rain here this weekend (which we needed)--but this week promises to be a hot one... I'm SO ready for Fall...

    Amazing how kids become more like friends once they grow up and mature... I have such a good relationship with my sons now --as opposed to years ago when they wouldn't share much of anything with MOM.... ha.. Sounds like you enjoyed being with your kids and their friends..

    SEVEN loads of laundry???? Yipes.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did see Noah and your critique is spot on---just terrible. Glad you had such a good time with your family. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your son and daughter in law understand that you care about them! I hope the couple takes your advice about getting married and making it "official" later for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had an interesting weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seven loads of laundry - Help! But you have reminded me that it's Tuesday which is laundry day for me. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sympathy on the laundry -- i had that much at work last Thursday.

    It sounds like a weekend worth a bit of laundry, and i'm glad you and your son are closer now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From yum (seafood) to yuck (laundry). And a fine weekend in between. I'm glad you have an improved relationship with your boy. That's so important for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherish those times with your son as he is now more mature. And the DIL - very important. The seafood sounded great, and so fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The heat just gets to me anymore and so do the mosquitoes.

    I was wondering about the movie "Noah". Ha! Glad I didn't waste my time or money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are lucky you get on with your DIL. Mine is crazy, I mean seriously has some mental problems which I can't even begin to try to approach my son about. she has him so isolated from his family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to have a good relationship with your daughter-in-law. Mine is wonderful, like my own daughter. Huge blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds like a lovely long weekend. I myself had little in the way of adult company, but it was a fun weekend anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like me. I feel like I am forever doing laundry. I guess that is one of the perks of having kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you should vacation at home more often because it sounds lovely. I like the sentence about droopy bathing suits and have avoided Noah because it didn't look like something I'd want to see. More a Transcendence girl even though it got panned. Nice catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had no desire to see Noah, and your little review did not change that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the sound of your time with the crowd of four. Happy for the couple planning marriage and hope they will simply marry and save everyone arguments, grief and waste of money.

    Keep and eye on your DIL. When she won't accept that glass of wine, you will know she is pregnant:)

    Sorry that I too gave into the hype on NOAH and watched it. Strange, strange movie and certainly not one that I recommend. Like my goddaughter says, "Hollywood has run out of ideas."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful holiday week-end. Loved reading your description of what you did :)

    We had an unexpected time with our son's family, some babysitting and then big people time when they came back for dinner-- which my dil prepared. I adore my dil. She is so sharing and offers so much to her family and ours. I regularly praise our son for his wisdom in choosing this beautiful woman to build a family with. I have seen it where it's not so good and to have a sil who I think is the tops and dil likewise, I feel very lucky for me and our grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fun to hang out with a younger crowd, especially with great food on hand. You'll have to keep us up to date on the young couple who are embarking on marriage and career changes.

    Your DIL...yeah, if she was drinking wine, she isn't pregnant. Maybe soon, though. First your back needs to completely heal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like the heat isin't so bad being on a lake n hanging out with fun whipper-snappers.
    I just had to work in a hot kitchen baking for work in this heat- Lucky you!
    Love i when new fangled gadgets are so easy for the young folks- as long as they hook you up!
    "Noah!" always reminds me of the old Bill Cosby recording we had on vinyl. Thanks for the tip-

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to hear stories of in laws bring the families closer as your daughter in law has seemed to do with your son. Love that. You hear enough horror stories and sons separating from the family a bit once they get married but I'm glad that is not the case with your son. I like to hear that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous11:46 PM

    That sounds like a great weekend. I had to laugh about you saying you're not easy to hang out with if you care of someone...I think I'm the same way! Thanks for the warning about Noah!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.