Sunday, September 14, 2014

Redisovering Cooking


Most of us get a lot of landfill in our mailboxes. If you contribute to even one charity or political action group you get on the mailing lists of hundreds of others.  I am in that demographic group (upper middle class old farts) that would get the type of mailing the Great Courses group sends out.  They offer courses on history, music, and science.  These courses come with textbooks and DVD's (downloads if you wish) and usually run well over $200 for a complete course.  Thus, I usually throw the catalogs away figuring there are enough free courses on the internet for most of my needs.  (http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses  -  https://www.edx.org/ - https://www.open2study.com/courses -  Some of these need Apple interfaces but most can work on any computer.)

Anyway, when I received the recent catalog I noticed that the usual courses had substantial discounts.  The course titled "The Everyday Gourmet: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Cooking" which had been priced at $269.95 was reduced to $39.95!  This includes 4 DVDs and a book.  This course comes out of the CIA (the one at Greystone, New York) ...not the spy agency but The Culinary Institute of America.  (I know, you were wondering just what type of meals they taught!)  This CIA is a premier institution and I actually ate at one of the school's restaurants after a conference a long time ago.

So envisioning long winter months ahead, I opted to purchase this course.  Yes, I know it is dated and that is why they reduced the value, but it meets my needs.  There are 24 lessons at 30 minutes each taught by Chef Bill Briwa.  They are designed for home cooking and not commercial venues.  Thus far I have gone through lesson one which is an overview of ingredient, techniques and flavor, and I did learn a few things.  The second lesson was about essential knives and I learned even more.  Next I listen to the lesson on more essential kitchen tools---from pots to shears.

The lessons are a little dumbed down for my tastes, but I like the fact that they are short and to the point.  The book that comes with it follows exactly.   Oddly enough the chapters come with a list of ingredients to shop for but no recipes.  I will have to see how that works out as I move forward!  I guess if you have to know how much of something to add, you shouldn't be cooking???  Anyway, I am looking for an improvement in techniques and not new recipes!

I will keep you posted on how my spatchcocked chicken turns out.

13 comments:

  1. How much fun is that?! When I mother and I put together her memoirs with family recipes, we found that the recipe cards from my grandmother were very cryptic, assuming everyone knew what a dash or a pinch meant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had considered their Pastry course on DVD, but after reading the comments about incomplete recipes and 'restaurant-sized quantities', decided to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's one of the best instructor's there. This sounds wonderful...I will follow your adventures with gusto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spatchcocked Chicken, huh???? ha ha ---YES--keep us posted on that one!!!!! ha

    We are always willing to give to worthy causes --but I get so mad at all of the 'crap' I get after a donation --that it makes me QUIT giving to them... Kinda sad because many of these causes are VERY worthwhile...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I better google spatchcocked chicken. I expect to find it there next "Dead eye Dick."

    Please do keep us informed. I'm always up for cooking tips, always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like one i'd enjoy! It was fun learning new techniques when i taught cooking at co-op, and i know there's a lot more i could stand to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun with it. I look forward to hearing about your culinary creations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to go to Amazon and find out what the set would cost there. The least expensive was around $90 and I think that was a used set. You did good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cooking gets me through winter. I think I might get bored learning about knives, but the first chapters of most subjects just lay the groundwork. I would want recipes though.

    I ate at CIA about 10 years ago and it was a very nice experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a worthy project and helpful if a person wants new ideas to spice up what they are cooking and with the price, that's a win/win.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like fun. Cooking can be an art. Not the way I do it, but for some people cooking can be an art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cooking is such fun. And learning new tricks is fun too.
    I enjoy cooking, but only for special occasions, the ordinary daily grind of ‘catering’ gets boring after a few decades of it.

    Could you send a taster of the finished results?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to eat and don't mind a bit of cooking, but I can't imagine doing this course. More power to you though.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.