Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thanks for the Memories

While I was scanning a few of the hundreds of slides that sit in a dozen metal boxes in a cupboard, hundreds of slides that may well be meaningless to my children, and therefore, not survive much beyond their memories of their parents, I ran across this photo of the second place that I lived in the South Pacific.  It was taken from a tall rock that you can hike up to and then get such a breathtaking view.  This slide below does not show the house itself which would have been behind the trees in the lower right hand side, a brand new prefab built with a Japanese war reparations money.  Yes, I know, do not ask me to explain.



I will look for a photo of the nice little house, if I can.  What you see here is the rudimentary structure of a marine laboratory in the making.  Something only a young and optimistic person such as my husband would take on and see to completion.  Later there were ponds and pump houses and other structures and even electricity every once in a while to pump the water!

Isn't that water stunningly beautiful?  There was a little pocket beach off to the right side in this photo and we would snorkel there on lazy afternoons.  I would watch an octopus that lived in the corals just a few feet from the seawall.  Oh, you do not have to tell me, and as young as we were, we knew what a marvelous memory in our lives this was going to be!

22 comments:

  1. Weren't you lucky! What a marvelous time that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This experience must have provided you with a wealth of experiences and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the color of the water alone would be a great memory. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. What a life!
    (I have had my computer cleaned, BTW, some lurking viruses)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something to be said for youth. Even better is to know it's good while living it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My nephew is a marine biologist. I don't think it pays much, but his office is quite nice.

    Actually it pays pretty well, just not commensurate with his education and abilities, but like I say,his office is much prettier than Wall Street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lived quite an adventure there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous experience. And yes, the water looks gorgeous. I can just imagine all the amazing sea life you saw there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fabulous place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.. what a great experience for the memory banks. And yes, that water is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be lovely to have experiences like that to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place to be-
    I've twice bought scanners to do slides, but never got them done before having to change machines n wearing out the scanner light tube on other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The water looks so clear from that shot. Love the blue, and you can probably link to Blue Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess I know nothing of your past beside the few little glimpses you have provided here the last few days. what a great life and opportunity. No such exciting past in my life. Well, I was a river guide for about 10 years but not in my youth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A real octopus's garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at that electric blue water!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been going through old photos, too. I'm glad to have them to jog my memory of wonderful times in the past. I saw your post about snorkeling and thought "how wonderful!" Memories and still making them - we're lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think everyone should just once in their lifetime, even if just for a little while, experience living in their idea of paradise. Your paradise looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your last sentence summed it up precisely.

    Happy New Year, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous8:41 PM

    What a beautiful place! I've often dreamed of living somewhere like this. I'm so glad you appreciated it while you were there so you soaked up the memories!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.