Thursday, February 19, 2015

Florida Notes--Thursday 13

  1. You will notice that there are lots of small dogs being walked.  They are dressed nicely.  I saw four little dogs with flowered sun-visors riding in a baby stroller.  I do wish I had gotten a picture!  It is as if you were in a circus, but then you are in some ways, aren't you?  They are small because the condos and apartments have a weight limit on pets that can live with you.  Although one afternoon I did see a standard poodle the size of a Shetland pony with fur like a big shag rug.
  2. The Central Gulf Coast of Florida is very white bread.  All rich old people.  Where do all the others hide?  If you see a minority person they are usually Latino and waiting on your table.
  3. Walking down the street in St. Petersburg toward the art museum you pass real estate office, jewelry store, coffee shop, real estate office, jewelry store, coffee shop, etc.  This is why I would not fit in here.  No hardware stores, used book shops, or coop grocery stores where they sell that chunky granola.  They did have a Chihuly art gallery, where you can buy something breakable for a small fortune.
  4. The few times I saw a child walking by I had to stop and stare as if it was some beautiful rare bird.
  5. Weather has been mostly jacket and sweater weather the days we have been here further south in Sarasota, but happily it was not the 8F degree weather with wind chill that we missed at home.  I kept everyone up north in my thoughts while I was unhappy I had not brought more turtlenecks.
  6. I am getting my fill of some of the water birds.  Dreading the photos to sort when I get home.
  7. I had dinner with my next door neighbors who happened to be staying near us.  They have purchased a beautiful condo on the ground floor downtown.  It has a postage stamp yard for their cat. Yes, they have lots of money.  We went to an art fair and dinner with them, something we never do at home where they live next door.
  8.  Some people do not know when to stop with the self-indulgence...see photo below.
 (Yes, now with the added photo the 13 numbering is off, but I cannot seem to fix the HTML coding.  It does add up to 13.)
  1.  I did see a gopher tortoise in the Florida shrubs sunning himself about 30 pounds and I was told that it was not common to see that.  I had never seen one before, but he headed down into his hole the minute he saw me raise my camera.
  2. I am beginning to think all the angry white people live in the Miami area, because everyone I have encountered here on the West Coast is friendly and laid back and I remember some rather nasty folks in the southeast years ago.
  3. We are half way into our vacation and I have not gotten a single good beach sunset.  Weather or other things do not cooperate, but I really had no photographic agenda anyway.
  4. A tri-colored heron perched on the side of the canoe we had tied to the dock here, and pooped into the boat, and I took that as a welcome to the tropics sign.  I will post on my other blog when we return.
  5. Yesterday was an all day canoe ride over some slightly choppy water between the mangrove islands with a rather cool wind.  At least the sun was shining and I think I got too much of that.   Doing the Ringling Brothers museums today.

16 comments:

  1. I have heard lots of complaints about the cold weather here, but I know better than to complain. My best friend in VT already does not speak to me all winter because I abandon her for Florida.
    The lack of diversity is noticeable. However, I do notice things that put me into culture shock all the same. Sweet tea, eucre night, and (here in Venice) nothing starts later than 6:30 in the evening nor lasts later than 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your 13 observations! But, no, not all rich white people. In some places (like Bradenton) you see plenty of modest one-bedroom condos, esp. off the beach, and a few trailer parks. A lot of people go to Florida precisely b/c you CAN live a nice lifestyle on a very modest income. But yeah ... all white people. Is it discrimination? A cultural thing, an income thing? I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tabor, I've heard some of your thoughts before on Florida, but my parents had a trailer house where they spent 6 months of the year away from the cold in the north. And they were not rich. But they were white. Come on over to Texas! We love company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a nice place for a break, but maybe not too much more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually, that's one of the things that drove us out of our old inner city neighborhood...it became too white and too rich through gentrification. i'm sure there must be nice places in Florida but I gather along the coast isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the Ringling Brothers museum today. They have some fabulous treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From what you say, and the pictures, what the heck would white people have to be angry about?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hm. yes, hm.
    I’m not sure that I’d enjoy being in the place you are. Of course, each to their own, but I’d like life to be a bit more varied, on holiday too.

    Or perhaps I’m just saying that because I’m jealous. After all, who’d be pleased to stare at our miserable grey skies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you get your sunsets or sunrises. Looking forward to your photos.

    My brother-in-law is from Coral Gables. He says it's not the place for him. He's living happily in Oregon now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That boat says it all! But it's only one boat so I won't jump to too many conclusions. Actually the dogs say nearly as much. Good luck with a sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess it's because I live on the other coast, but I don't get Florida. But then, our snowbirds go to Arizona. I don't migrate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As boring as Oklahoma might seem to many, it is definitely a place to see all the seasons and I think I would miss that living in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only been to the Fla panhandle. The state has distinctly different areas, doesn't it? It is a place I've never wanted to live & you have touched on a whole bunch of reasons why in this single post.
    How cool that you saw a gopher tortoise; I think they are a threatened species in Fla.People don't like them digging in their suburban yards.:-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd go just to see the Chihuly stuff. The child as a rare bird made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My FIL and some of Bob's sisters live in Sarasota. When we visit, we do so briefly - the beaches are beautiful but we aren't used to all the shopping centers and all the old people (though we ourselves are old!). We'd rather head west on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many places like this. They are dull. Maybe next time you head south you can try Cuba!

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.