Saturday, August 29, 2015

Winding Down a Crazy Social Life

Today is the day my daughter-in-law is having a BBQ for about 80 people to celebrate the fact that they have a large back yard.  In the city a large back  yard is golden.  I am bringing up a huge fruit plate, a huge veggie platter, 10 folding chairs, a folding table, a cooler  with ice and water  bottles and a bunch of their food that was left in my freezer from a big  box store trip.

We leave in a few hours to head up that way.

I  am looking  forward to meeting their friends again, but also realize this will be a looooong day with a over an hour's ride back home in the evening.

Then tomorrow my daughter arrives with two of her little ones.  She is staying for dinner and then heading home after leaving the 8-year-old girl to spend the week with us.

It will be a bit of a challenge as N is not a hiking or boating  type and since school started this past week in this county there are no activities for children going  on in  our little community.  She has visited the small  museum and gallery many times already.  So it is  arts and crafts here at the  house and maybe some cooking until time to take her back on Friday evening or  early Saturday morning.

THEN my whirlwind of a joyful social  life comes to an  end.  What will  I do?  What will I do?

Neighbors and I have been trying to meet for a dinner, but I  just cannot  get energy up for  that  anytime  soon.  I also have a tutoring project I have started.  Something I so wanted to get involved in during the doldrums of winter, but now am digging  deep for the energy to do this justice.  I will write  how it  goes later.

Today, taking my vitamins, drinking my caffeinated coffee and onto the BBQ setup!!  Oh, almost forgot we have to harvest the children's garden and take to the food pantry BEFORE we drive up.  I think I need a nap.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the nap....feels so good sometimes to just shut your eyes for a few minutes. Sounds like you have a very busy, but fun schedule. Good luck with entertaining the granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had a busy summer, and I think you could be forgiven for taking a little time to regroup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does get hard to re-cycle one's self after a routine is changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happened to the lazy, hazy days of summer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, I'm glad school is back in session and summer is drawing to a close. it was an expensive summer with the grandkids coming for their weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure are keeping busy. Start with that nap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nap! You need a week's worth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, a nap. If he is driving, nap on the way up. You can say NO to overbooking yourself no matter how much you love your family. Yes, I am laughing at you and me.

    Why not take your G-daughter into the city and stay two days. All those museums will be heaven to a small girl. I bless my grandmother forever for going so out of her way to take me to museums when I visited. If her emphysema was bad, we sat on top of a near by cliff and counted cars by color below us. We made a city together out of clay which I added to every time I visited. And tho her budget was non-existent, she made tuna salad with corn or regular muffins for lunch.

    Grandma Maudies Tuna Salad S.4

    Shred a head of lettuce
    Flake one can of tuna into the lettuce
    mince 1/2 a dill pickle
    Mince a tablespoon white onion
    Mayonnaise

    Stir together lightly and serve with a muffin of choice.
    (Grandma said the original recipe called for shredded cabbage.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been running, running, running like this for over a month now. Thank goodness the end is in sight! I think a little R&R is in order.

    It is funny that you say "what will I do" with all the free time because everyone has been asking me that now that my kids are all back in school. I knew I would have plenty to fill my days but, honestly, I feel like there are not enough hours in the day. There is always SO MUCH I want to get done before the kids get home. It is a little crazy. I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

    Hopefully, with all that "spare" time you just let yourself breathe for a good week or so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I take ginseng for that! You'll love looking back on all of it in the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just be sure to get enough sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.