Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Just a Memory

The big storm is now melting into water and I can hear little rivulets trickling down the drain pipes when I carry bird seed outside.  The white blanket will soon be gone and a distant memory as mankind forgets the challenge. 

I actually shoveled about 1,250 pounds of wet heavy snow off of my deck.  At first it was just to make a path to the bird feeder and water bath and then when I realized how heavy each shovel was, I was fearful such a blanket of icy snow was too heavy for the deck and removed as much as I could over about 45 minutes. My lower back will remind me tomorrow, but the rest of me will be happy for the exercise.

I have monitored how everyone has coped on FB.  Most of the families with young children are sledding, shoveling and building various snowmen and snow-women.  The more dynamic types are cooking or complaining about cabin fever.  We are mostly mellow because this is the first really winter weather we have had.  With my Helleborus blooming last week I was fearful all my bulbs would be emerging.

I sit at the computer and paint my photos. 



I read books.  I follow one of my courses that I bought a while back.  I binge watch a Netflix series.  I do sometimes feel I am wasting time but I am not lost.  There is always plenty to do.  When I post this I will start the pork ribs in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner.  Not healthy, but we deserve it.

Soon a more normal routine will emerge. 

19 comments:

  1. None of that sounds like wasted time to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfectly good way to cope with bad weather to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow allows for a time out at least for those who don't have to go to work. That can be healthy. I watched Regarding Susan Sontag last night and really enjoyed it. I didn't know a lot about her life; so it was a lot of new info about one woman's creative life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are you binge watching on Netflix?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful with heavy shoveling - it's one of my only physical restrictions. Lifting heavy snow puts a lot of stress on the heart. But, happily you're fine, and the deck won't collapse! Snow IS our normal routine, but I know it isn't for much of the east coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow days are wonderful when you can just stay home and enjoy yourself.
    NBC Nightly New interviewed a lot of complainers in New York. Like the city wasn't clearing the side streets soon enough. I figured they should just be glad it's not raining on top of the snow. That's what often happens here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds a lot like my own coping mechanism for being stuck inside. I read, watch a little TV or Netflix series, and watch my hubby cook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used the Toro electric power shovel for our deck. It is a wonderful tool, gets the work done quickly and there is no aching back afterwards. It is less than $100 and a lifesaver - literally.

    The dirty snow is melting quickly and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to hear that people are coping so well. I hope your back does not protest too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is a lot of snow to shovel. I hope your back is feeling okay by now. Curious about what netflix series you like best? We just watched "Mr. Nobody" -a movie found on a list of 10 Best Netflix Offerings. It was long and strange, but rather good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice digital painting.

    You handle snow so well, you could probably deal with a promotion to the Great White North.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your way of wintering sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I study French and wonder why I didn't take up something simple, like blindfolded origami. I read, and try not to buy new books when there are a dozen sitting forlornly on the kitchen bookcase. I cook, and think Why can't I make a decent really hearty chili and cornbread? And yes, with beans. I talk to friends in other countries.

    But mostly, I web surf.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh your painted photo is gorgeous and would look beautiful framed and in my bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. about the only thing that keeps us housebound is rain but it has to be lots of rain. I don't mind being housebound for a few days. sort of like an unplanned vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think fatty n salty foods were invented for giving us energy in the snowy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You do indeed. We are not eating healthy for the second dinner this week. Two nights ago, we ate in a fancy joint. I had a petite filet, now tonight it's off to a free birthday dinner. I'll have something simple. That's a wonderful flower. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You handled the situation with aplomb! We don't get enough snow to be snowed in, and I don't watch TV, but there are always projects going and lots of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds blissful, really. I've got a meeting tomorrow, and we'll meet on my deck. If it doesn't rain, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Take your time...take a deep breath...then hit me with your best shot.